Sunday, January 12, 2025

The ABCs of 2025



It seems choosing a word for the year is quite the thing to do.  Though trendy (and you know how in step I am NOT, especially at 47, with current trends), it does seem rather apropos.  However, those who know me also know that I may also not be the most decisive of people (or am I?).  So, in the spirit of improvement regarding both my trendiness and my decisivity (yes, it's a word - I looked it up), I compromised...and picked 3 words!

In contemplating appropriate words, I reflected on areas of personal challenge and growth.  I quickly fell into an ABC pattern (think I spend too much time at preschool?):

I quickly jumped to CELEBRATORY for my C.  I am surrounded by amazing human beings in my personal and professional life and I know I need to be more intentional in thanking them and celebrating their contributions.  C was an easy choice.  But I began vacillating between AUTHENTIC and ACCEPTING for my A.  And B was tricky.  BRAVERY?  BEAUTY?  BELIEF? BOLDNESS?

So, as I characteristically do when mulling things over, I turned to "thinking with my fingers"...

I want the words to represent my hope for growth personally and professionally and to direct my life and interactions accordingly.  I strive to be a strong, compassionate, intentional leader - as a parent and a principal.  I want to be myself - and to be accepting and realistic about my own strengths and struggles.  Growth mindset, right?  I want to be equally accepting of the strengths and challenges of my kids and my employees - while maintaining support in their continued growth and development.  I want to acknowledge where we are and build from there.  I want to appreciate the joy and the beauty in life and in my relationships and in the world.  A focus on the beautiful.  I want to celebrate differences and commonalities.  I want to build unity.  I want to be strong and confident and compassionate - and I want to guide Izzi (and Anya, though she doesn't really need so much of my direct guidance these days) in developing similar attributes.  I want to be classy and dignified and refined and sophisticated and elegant.  I want to be approachable and helpful and supportive and encouraging.  I want to be an example and I want to make a difference.  I want to appreciate the best in those around me.

So BRAVERY, BOLDNESS, BALANCE - all important.  AUTHENTIC or ACCEPTING?  If I want a "wraparound" with these words, authentic is centered on self-discovery, awareness, and acceptance.  Celebratory represents the outward reach of appreciation of others.  The B may need to help me develop the relationship between the inward and outward - perhaps where I need to grow most.  Probably BOLD (confident in leadership, parenting, etc., but not off-putting) or BALANCE (personal, professional, church, family, etc.).  Maybe the balance will come as I trust my authentic self, create boundaries and expectations, and celebrate success and beauty in myself and others.  Maybe the bold assertion of my authenticity and appreciation of others is the linking idea.

So., here's to a well-rounded self in 2025...
  • AUTHENTIC - grounded in self-awareness and acceptance, ensuring I stay true to myself
  • BOLD - reflecting confidence in leadership and parenting, high and honest  expectations, while remaining approachable and compassionate
  • CELEBRATORY - focusing on appreciating others, celebrating joy, differences, and commonalities.

Where will your ABC's take you this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment