Sunday, September 22, 2024

I guess they've called her on a mission...

Everything about Anya's mission is going to be done her way.

  • The moment she knew she would go on a mission: I decided if they ever let sister missionaries wear pants I would go.  A couple years later, they announced the change.  So I thought, "Ok, I guess I'm going." (Plus, I know it's what I'm supposed to do, Mom.)
  • "Opening"/sharing her call: For weeks she'd been talking about how swamped the stake president was and how it would still be two more weeks before she could get her interview with him.  All this so she could schedule a feigned a call (from college) to play Minecraft with Izzi.  "Are Mom and Dad where they can hear?  Sister Brown, You have been called..."  It should be no surprise that she wasn't going to make a big to-do about it.
  • Missionary Preparation: Mom was sitting on pins and needles all summer, hoping that Anya was, in fact, getting ready to leave since she was (characteristically) independently going down the checklist, taking care of doctor's appointments, buying what she needed.  And I shouldn't have doubted - she was all ready to go and things went so smoothly.
  • Her "farewell" talk and meeting: The morning of there was (totally expected) through the roof anxiety because of the (unwelcome) attention on her, zero appetite (with nausea), and fighting it (anxiety, nausea, panic) off so hard that what seemed like sleepiness as she sat on the stand was actually her classic inability to focus her eyes or even keep them open because of the sheer exhaustion from the battle.  Those of us who have seen it recognized it immediately.  Still she spoke with grace and poise and sincerity and depth and played her violin beautifully(and felt immediately better afterward).  I hope she's proud of who she is becoming.
  • MTC Experience: Again, classic Anya anxiety/panic awaiting her time to report.  But stamina and grit and determination shining through.  Refusal to take pictures at drop off.  Total calm once the transition has happened.  Annoyance at missionaries (mostly the boys) who don't take things seriously.


  • Entering the field: Her voice is still there in her emails.  She has already tuned her sensitivity in to loving and appreciating the people of West Virginia in her area, though she's intrigued by the idea of spooky tours of Harper's Ferry on PDay.  It's a joy to hear from her.

We miss her already (of course) but her strength and enthusiasm is still an example to us all.  


Here's to a great next 18 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment