Thursday, August 6, 2020

Anya's 15th Birthday!


15 Admirable Attributes of Anya:

1.  Joie de vivre

Since she was tiny, we've always commented on how much Anya loves life.  Her passion and energy are inspiring.  Her dad and I often used to talk about how much of a needed blessing she was in maintaining a positive outlook during the hard work of being Ian's parents.  Her joy is buoyant and contagious.

2.  Fierceness

Anya doesn't do anything halfway.  She lives and loves and feels everything with gusto.  If she does (or feels) something, it is done completely and with passion.

3.  Humor

She totally shares her dad's sense of humor.  It is fun to watch them get silly together and the laughter is (again) contagious - even if I'm laughing more at their laughing than at what they're laughing at.

4.  Intelligence

Learning has always been important to her.  She's been a little sponge she she was tiny and Ian was in therapy.  She wants to learn and she enjoys learning.  And watching it come so naturally to her helped us appreciate both her gift and Ian's hard work.

5.  Empathy

Anya is blessed with a true ability to think about and understand what others are feeling.  Again, developed in part by the opportunity to be Ian's sister, but much of it was, I believe, an innate gift for her.

6.  Loyalty

Anya is definitely someone you want in your corner.  And if she's there, she's there to stay.  (Remember #2?)  Nobody messes with Anya's people without being met with her righteous indignation.  (See #14)

7.  Persistence

If she decides to do something, she will stay at it until it is done right.  She may get frustrated on the way (and we'll know it - again #2), but she will stick with it until she has succeeded.

8.  Resilience

This ball of fire has experienced hard things in her life.  She maintains an overall positive attitude and works hard to keep moving forward.  She's needed it and we're glad she's been blessed with this stubborn ability to bounce back.

9.  Motivation

Anya has always been super self-motivated.  We've been the spoiled parents who have never had to hound her about school work or projects or other obligations.  There have been some big school projects (Boo-ography, for example, in 5th grade) where I've wanted to help her learn a skill (planning things out on a poster in pencil before diving in with pen or marker, for example) but I've had to jump in and make suggestions because she just takes things and runs with them!

10.  Faith

Through all the hard things she's done, Anya is the first to turn to her Heavenly Father for help.  When there's been a problem or question that arises in the family, by the time I've paused in trying to "act" to fix things long enough to think to remind us of prayer, Anya ALWAYS says, "Oh, I've already done that, Mom."  Her scriptures and her prayers are her first line of defense.  (Again with fierceness!)

11.  Integrity

Anya has a definite sense of right and wrong and no tolerance for injustice.  She will come to the defense of right with (you guessed it) complete fierceness when required.

12.  Compassion

Anya's care for others and, yes especially for animals, is certainly one of her defining characteristics.  Her tender heart is always ready to reach out and help someone who needs it.  I remember after devastating storms in our area when we lived in Memphis, I had talked to Anya about families who had lost everything they had - clothes, books, homes, etc.  My little 5 year old quickly ran to her closet and grabbed a favorite outfit and said we should take it to her school where they were collecting donations.  We then went shopping for towels and other household supplies because my little girl was determined to help meet the need.

13.  Creativity & Artistic Ability

Have you seen her photography?  She truly has an eye and captures some visually stunning images.  Hearing her develop her talent with the violin (and recently sharing it as we learn to play a difficult duet) has also truly enriched and blessed our family.

14.  Bravery

Bravery is not the lack of fear.  It's pushing through despite it.  Anya has always been more reserved around people she doesn't know well - even to a point where she didn't want to go to the park when she was younger because she might have to talk to kids she didn't know.  But if something must be done (see the entire list of qualities above), fear will not get in the way.  Once she came home from kindergarten (a definitely trying year for her) and told me that she'd had to set some big boys straight in the lunchroom.  "They were saying Ian was a baby because he drank from a sippy cup.  I told them he was NOT a baby.  His body just didn't work the same as theirs."

15.  Friendship

As Izzi has entered the picture, Anya sometimes seems to think I prefer the preschool age - that it's more fun.  I've explained that while I do love the development of Izzi's age - and that it makes for great stories (she had an equally wonderful array at the same age - I've come to truly appreciate and enjoy the relationship I share with my big girl.  I was afraid of having a teenager.  But I love it.  I know moms aren't supposed to be their daughter's "friends" (and I think she'd agree with you that there's an equal amount of "mean mom" there, too) I consider Anya one of my best friends.  I love our conversations and spending time together.  We are also so glad she has the wisdom to associate with good friends - the mutual loyalty and support of her friends is definitely an asset to her and to our family.

So happy birthday, "baby girl".  You'll always be my baby.  But I love and admire you more every year as my big girl. 💛💛💛

No comments:

Post a Comment