Saturday, June 1, 2013

Missing Papa


On Sunday, May 5, Papa Stephenson collapsed on his way out of church.  My old friend from kindergarten, Nate McBride, was a first responder when they called the ambulance and he sent me his account of what happened.

  • Conversation started May 19
  • Nate N Steph McBride
    Nate N Steph McBride

    I spoke to my mom tonight and she mentioned she saw you at your Grandpa's Funeral. I'll share with you what happened that day at the church. I was at home when my pager went off. I am on the fire department as a volunteer Firefighter/EMT for East End Fire. I took off and pulled into the parking lot of the church. I went over to your Grandpa and started to open my medical bag to get my supplies out. His eyes were shut. I said, Eldon, this Nate McBride whats going on? He opened his eyes looked up into my eyes and patted me on the top of my head three times like I was a little boy. He closed his eyes and I asked him when the last time it was he ate, and he told me last night. I went and got the cot and picked him up and put him on the stretcher. When I laid him down and looked into his face I knew it wasn't good. You get feelings and impressions sometimes and I knew he wouldn't be with us too much longer. As an EMT, we don't see too many positive things on calls but this was really cool for me. I knew he recognized me and he treated me like he always treated me. Kind and gentle. I will always remember that as something special. I was going through some old records at the fire hall years ago and noticed he was the bookkeeper for the fire district for several years. It was only fitting the service could come full circle.
They took him to Cassia and then life flighted him to Pocatello.  He never really woke up.  He passed away that Tuesday, May 7.  We miss him and I'm so thankful that my kids got the chance to know him.  He is an amazing person and was a tremendous positive influence in so many lives.  He is an example of charity and love and patience and genuine kindness.  I am so thankful he is my Papa.

This is his obituary as it appeared in the Times News.


RUPERT • Husband, father, grandfather and community servant Eldon Stephenson died suddenly Tuesday, May 7, 2013, after a brief illness.
He was born July 12, 1926, in Acequia, Idaho, to James Andrew Stephenson and Alice Rose Elwood, less than 100 yards from the place he would later build the home where he spent the last 56 years of his life. He graduated from Acequia High School in 1944. In 1945, he was inducted into the United States Army and trained in the U.S. before being shipped to the Philippines, where he served until fall of 1946. He then worked briefly for the Union Pacific Railroad, before enrolling at Utah State Agricultural College.
In 1949, he married Margaret Erlene Harrison, and they attended Utah State together until Eldon’s ROTC unit was activated during the Korean War. He was stationed in Fort Lee, Va., and Fort Sill, Okla., where his first son, Ross was born. Eldon was sent to teach quartermaster school in Bad Tolz, Germany. After completing his military service, Eldon and Erlene returned to Logan to finish school. There, daughter Shanan was born. After earning a business degree, Eldon worked for Standard Oil, until he had an opportunity to return to Acequia. There, he and Erlene spent the rest of their lives, and there, sons Vaughn and Earl were born.
Eldon worked as secretary for the Minidoka Irrigation District for several years while he completed classes in education. In 1965, he began teaching at Minidoka County High School, continuing until retirement in 1988. He loved teaching, and he cared for his students.
Eldon dedicated himself to community and church service. He served as Acequia city clerk for 50 years, which, according to the Idaho Association of Cities, is one of the longest periods of such service in state history. He also served as the secretary of the Minidoka Fire Protection District and as a member of the Minidoka Acequia Rupert Cemetery Board.
An active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Eldon served tirelessly in numerous positions including clerk, bishopric member, bishop, high councilor and most recently as a historian.
After retirement, Eldon became an avid chronicler of his family, his life and his hometown. At the time of his passing, he was contributing material on Acequia for the centennial history of Minidoka County.
We remember Eldon for his kindness, personal discipline, sense of humor and generosity. He lived without many things so he could help support numerous young people on missions, donate money to others in time of need and contribute to various church, educational and other causes.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife of more than 55 years, Erlene; and his brother, Glen. He is survived by his brother, LaMar of Rupert; and children, Ross of Boise, Shanan Aston of Rupert, Vaughn of Rexburg and Earl of Sandy, Utah; 12 grandchildren;; and eight great-grandchildren.
A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, May 14, at the Acequia LDS Church. Viewing for family and friends will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday, May 13, at Hansen Mortuary. Viewing will also be held from 10 to 10:45 a.m. prior to the service at the church. Services will conclude at the church. A burial service will be held at a future date under the direction of Joel Heward Hansen Mortuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment