Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Words to Live By

Having a typical Anya meal time discussion, I was fielding questions about people who had killed other people "in real life". Not wanting to traumatize her further (especially since we're still dealing with night-time snake terror), I decided to stick with familiar scripture stories. "There was Cain..."
"No, Mom. In real life."
"Scripture stories are real life -- just a long time ago."
"Oh...Who else?"
"Um..."
"How 'bout King Noah?"
"Yes, he had Abinadi killed."
"The bad Noah?"
"Yes."
"They burned him, too. I was glad about that."
"An..."
"But I didn't think it was funny. And I didn't so much like it."
Thinking this could be a teaching moment, I said, "Jesus wasn't glad. He was just sad King Noah didn't repent."

"Yeah... It's much more better to repent than to be killed and burned."

I guess that pretty much sums it all up...

No comments:

Post a Comment